Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Biology of the Mind and Consciousness

Here is the outline for how I will use 2-75 minute class periods to teach about the brain.  Sleep and consciousness has been saved for a different class period.


  1. As I am checking reading notes (see previous post about this fiasco), I will have students complete the neuron worksheet (found at: https://askabiologist.asu.edu/sites/default/files/resources/coloring_pages/pdf/AAB_neuron_anatomy_activity.pdf)
  2. Then we will review the worksheet and watch this video on the parts of a neuron:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMnDiepv5Os
    1. With regard to the video, I want to ask them to tell me what three types of neurons there are (motor, sensory, interneuron), so they realize this information is important.
    2. I really want to talk in more detail about the action potential, but the textbook hardly mentions it at all, so I don't think I will.
  3. Next, I want the students to discuss neurotransmission.  I found an interesting worksheet series on an NIH site where students write about the process before learning the terminology and then revise their answers using the terminology.  I really like the idea, because students typically struggle with identifying the parts of a synapse and I think this could potentially help.  So first they will fill out this worksheet: http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih2/addiction/guide/pdfs/master2.3.pdf
    1. Then, we will watch this video: http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih2/Addiction/activities/lesson2_neurotransmission.htm
    2. Then, they will complete the following labeled version of the worksheet:  http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih2/addiction/guide/pdfs/master2.5.pdf
  4. We will also review common neurotransmitters and their actions (table from textbook).
  5. Next, students will learn about the nervous system.  I have an outline that I will give them to help with this.  I will also show them this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J968Wco1u0s
  6. Next, they will learn about the endocrine system.  I will show them this video (starting at :53):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjmS4_7kvDM and have them look at a diagram of the different glands and discuss what a hormone is and what the endocrine system does. 
We will start on parts of the brain next class.

1 comment:

  1. You aren't going to show them the video you made for me on the Maguire study? Show them and tell them this is what HS sophomores are expected to do so they better step up their games.

    ReplyDelete