Thursday, January 30, 2014

Learning

To teach classical and operant conditioning to my students, I use a worksheet (ack! I don't remember who I got it from, but I know the root of the URL is oakton.edu) that uses the principles of shaping to have students work through principles of classical and operant conditioning.  I've modified it a bit and if you'd like a copy, I'm happy to share.  The worksheet has about 70 questions, so I assigned the worksheet as homework and then we review it (and I add in additional lecture-style information as we go) in class.  This typically takes an ENTIRE class period.

I also developed an 8-question quiz about memory to have students practice those questions for their upcoming exam.

While the students worked on the quiz, I collected the learning worksheet to give participation points.  I was blown away by the number of students who hadn't done the assignment.  So, in three of my five classes, I sent over 20 people home.  I told them I expected the assigned work to be done and they needed to take this time to go print it out and do it and contact me with questions.  Then, I spent the rest of the class time teaching those who had come to class prepared.

Today in class, I am going to give the students new information on schedules of reinforcement.  I am thinking of a jig-saw activity.  Then, I have a couple slides with the following topics/videos:

Shaping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XuafyPwkg

Extinction or reinforcement?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds6FlIMIAjs

Classical or Operant conditioning?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teLoNYvOf90 (:50 to 2:22)

Observational Learning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG55uY2NSU

I would also like the students to complete the Metacognitive Awareness Inventory.  Next Tuesday is their first exam, so fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfZfMIHwSkU classical conditioning the office
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teLoNYvOf90 big bang theory, but they use negative reinforcement incorrectly in the clip which is also a good teaching moment.

    ReplyDelete