I just realized that creating posts based on the day I taught it isn't necessarily helpful. Hahaha.
So for my fourth day of class, I'm planning to finish up psychology as a science and then have my students work on a worksheet I call "Bringing It All Together". In this worksheet, students reiterate the steps of the scientific method, fill out a comparison chart for the research methodologies we discussed previously, read an article on texting, and then answer some questions about the article. I'll post more when I know how much I got through on the last class period.
*****************
So if the PsychPortal Learning Curve activities are any idication, my students are struggling with EVERYTHING. I don't know if that means they're not reading the book or doing the work (I know quite a few haven't even signed up for PsychPortal yet, so God only knows what they're doing. I think next week I might try a practice quiz so they can see I'm not joking around about doing work at home.
First, I want to talk to students about what constitutes Science. I have a handout for them of these characteristics and also for the scientific method (specific to psychology, which includes ethical considerations). I also want to teach them a little here about ethics. I should try to limit this to 15 minutes.
For today, I asked students to complete, at home, the PsychSim5 tutorial called "What's Wrong with this Study"? which ocvers different types of research and asks them to identify weaknesses in real research. I am going to ask them about the different types of research. After all three are on the board, we will go through some additional information:
Descriptive: observe, measure, describe behavior
To expand on this, we will discuss CASE STUDIES and NATURALISTIC OBSERVATION.
Correlational: evaluate relationships between variables
To expand on this, we will discuss SURVEYS and ARCHIVAL RESEARCH.
Experimental: to see the effect of one variable on another
To expand on this, we will talk about variables, hypotheses, and strengths/weaknesses.
Already I can see this is not going to go well. Ideally, I want this to take 20 minutes.
Then, I want them to work on the Bringing It All Together worksheet, either solo or in pairs. I think, realistically, this will take them half an hour or more to complete. So...if I give them 40 minutes, that leaves only 35 for the things up there I want to do. Oh this is hilarious. Good luck, Soicher.
No comments:
Post a Comment