- Tips for Scientific Writing Style: I've put together a hand-out on Scientific Writing Style which is originally from http://writingproject.fas.harvard.edu/pages/brief-guides-disciplines (Brief Guide to Writing in the Psychology Paper). I basically shortened it for my own purposes and added some additional hints/helpful tips at the end. You can find my version by clicking here.
- After the students read this hand-out, I want them to practice what they've learned. So, I created (with the help of lots of other sources I found online) a brief worksheet for them to do so. You can access a copy of this worksheet by clicking here.
- Next, students will have a chance to practice with APA Style citations. I've borrowed the handout from the University of Georgia Libraries website (http://www.libs.uga.edu/ref/citation.html). I know my own library has one, but I've used this one in the past and I like it. Using this reference sheet to help them, they complete an APA Style activity from the Peterson & Sesma module that I'm sure I've previously referred to (you can find it at teachpsych.org). You can get a copy by clicking here.
- Lastly, I want my students to understand the importance of paraphrasing and how to paraphrase without plagiarizing. When I survey my students, I typically find that only about 1/4 - 1/3 of them have received explicit instruction before on how to paraphrase/avoid plagiarism. I've created a hand-out for them to keep which has some brief information on plagiarism and how to paraphrase correctly. You can click here to view this hand-out. Then, students complete a plagiarism activity which is again something I've taken from Peterson & Sesma (2013). Click here for a copy of the activity.
Monday, March 24, 2014
Scientific Writing Style
I want to spend an entire class period working with my students on Scientific Writing Style. I haven't been able to find a fun way to do this yet, so it's basically a lot of reading and practice on their part. Here's what it will look like:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment